- This workshop has passed.
June Introduction to Roasting
June 22 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$500
About Our Roasting Workshop:
This workshop’s aim is to give you a broad look at coffee processing, from farm to roastery, with a special attention to roasting. Topics include:
- Coffee Origin Cupping:
- An Introductory cupping based on four different origins, highlighting how we talk and think about coffee from around the globe.
- The Coffee Seed: History, Agronomy, Processing and Transportation
- An examination of the coffee plant and its many variations, the determinates of growing coffee, milling practices, and a brief look at how coffee is transported.
- Roasting Science: The Roast Curve and Chemical Reactions in Roasting
- A breakdown of how we as roasters manipulate time and temperature. An overview of some of the chemical reactions behind these decisions: dry distillation, maillard reactions, caramelization, and their by-products.
- Roast Profile Cupping:
- A cupping of four different roast profiles that expands on our discussion of roasting profiles, and provides a greater understanding of the role roast plays in the final product.
- Roasting Equipment: Roaster Mechanics, Roaster Types, Roaster Safety
- A look at the basic anatomy of a roaster, fluid dynamics and heat transfer, the pros vs. cons of different type and make roasters, and how to protect ourselves against and react to roaster fires/hazards.
- With the roaster’s guidance, using the tools we’ve learned, we’ll walk through a production batch together.
Please review our Terms of Agreement before registering.