How to Open A Coffee Shop
5 Day Workshop
“Because You Would Never Buy A Plane And Not Take Flying Lessons”
Includes 2 days of Coffee Business Training and 3 days of Barista and Advanced Barista Workshops.
Due to COVID-19, all Bellissimo workshops are temporarily suspended. Contact us to be notified about when workshops will resume.
Our most popular package.
Take 5 days of workshops including Coffee Business, Barista Basics, and Advanced Barista Training for the best value discounted package.
Total Cost: $3,100
Designed exclusively for:
Coffee Shop Business Owners, Investors, Managers, Baristas
Essential for all coffee professionals, new or established.
Our clients have a true passion and dedication for succeeding in specialty coffee retail. They understand the importance of investing in education as a means of improving their odds of success in the coffee industry.
Day 1 (Monday)
- Business Plan Development
- Lease Negotiations (!)
- Cost Analysis
- Menu Development
- Sustainable Coffee Sourcing
- Layout and Design
- Breakfast and Lunch Included!
Day 2 (Tuesday)
- Core Values
- Hiring, Training, & Management
- Equipment Selection
- Equipment Maintenance
- Future Trends in the Coffee Industry
- Q&A With a Successful Coffee Business Owner
- Breakfast and Lunch Included!
Day 3 (Wednesday)
- Coffee Cupping Intro & Tasting – understand the differences in coffees from different regions
- Palate formation
- Lecture on how to use an espresso machine
- Lecture on espresso preparation and dialing in espresso grind
- Espresso grinding, dosing, and tamping techniques
- Differences between the most common drinks: Cappuccinos, Lattes, Mochas, & Macchiatos, oh my!
- Espresso Recipes. Dosage, Timing, and Weight = Proper Extraction
- Pull your first espresso shots !
Day 4 (Thursday)
- Espresso Bar Set Up
- Milk Steaming, Texture, and Pour Techniques
- Customer Service – How to answer the most common questions you’ll hear (correctly)
- Espresso troubleshooting
- Equipment cleaning, daily maintenance and care
- Cold Brew
- Pour over Coffee, French Press, and Batch Brewing
- Hands-on practice on over 8 different espresso machines! Perfect for owners who want to try various brands before deciding on a purchase for their cafe.
Day 5 (Friday)
- “Train the Trainer” Method
- How to ensure that all your baristas are equipped to make great, consistent drinks.
- Espresso Extraction Recap
- Syrups and sauces, specialty coffee recipes
- Group Dial In
- Pouring Advanced Designs
- Steaming Alternative Milks
- Signature Drinks Workshop
- Cleaning & Upkeep
- Plenty of time for practicing methods learned in Barista Basics Workshop
“My wife and I will be opening up a local coffee shop soon. I’ve got a couple of years of Barista experience at a corporate law firm, as well as many years of operations and marketing management, so I figured that we were in a pretty good position to take on the task.
I saw the ad online for Bellissimo Coffee Advisors and the American Barista and Coffee School, but wasn’t sure that it’d be for us. Yes, we could use some additional knowledge, but it was a shot in the dark – and it wasn’t cheap. I didn’t want to waste a sizable chunk of money, and I didn’t want to simply be a sales target for machines and coffee and supplies. So, I was skeptical.
After a few weeks of weighing the pros and cons, I decided to register for their 5-day course in Portland, Oregon. Maybe, if this didn’t work, I could get at least part of my money back.
I couldn’t have made a better decision. The first two days were all about the business – from locations and leases to shop design to marketing, and more. I learned about differences between coffees and growing regions, altitudes and processing, and how it all affects the coffee.
The next three days were all hands-on: How to choose an Espresso machine and how to dial it in (daily or more) to constantly achieve the best from any coffee. Pour overs, French press, drip, and other methods of preparing coffee for the best customer experience. How to make latte art. And, very importantly, dosage, yield, time and water ratios for every brewing method, to fine tune the coffee yield into the best coffee that it can be – and serve better tasting coffee than the big chain stores nearby.
Before walking into the school on the first day, I wasn’t really sure that I needed it or that I wasn’t wasting a lot of money. Now, I know that these classes have been invaluable – well worth the cost – and will play a key part in making our coffee shop the best and most successful in the area. I wasn’t “pitched” to buy any products and there wasn’t even a moment of wasted time. The classes were all taught by experienced professionals with a personal, laid back approach, with a strong love of coffee and seeing it served and delivered well, and with a focus on Customer Service. I also know that the additional online training will be an important supplement to what I learned in the school.
Bellissimo Coffee Advisors and the American Barista and Coffee School was one of the best investments that I could have made for my coffee business, and would be invaluable to any independent coffee shop owner or operator.”
Introduction to Coffee Roasting
(Optional) Discounted 6th Day Add-On
Day 6 (Saturday)
- Coffee Origin and Green Bean Purchasing Lesson
- The Coffee Seed: History, Agronomy, Processing and Transportation
- Roasting Science: The Roast Curve and Chemical Reactions in Roasting
- Roast Profile Cupping
- Roasting Equipment: Roaster Mechanics, Roaster Types, Roaster Safety
- Roast! Walk through of an actual roasting process
*Full price if not included in bundle $500
Cost of Workshop includes daily breakfast and lunch, a binder with workshop materials, and a USB drive packed with resources.
Additional discounts may apply for groups of 2 or more. Call (503) 232-2222 or email email@example.com for inquiries.
All attendees receive special discounts on Bellissimo educational books and DVDs and discounts on lodging at nearby 4 star hotels.
In addition, attendees receive exclusive access to Bellissimo Coffee Advisors Consulting Services.
Please review our Terms of Agreement before registering.
Our entire business model is based around helping people succeed in the specialty coffee industry. We exist entirely to be helpful, and be there for people who need our expertise.
For free coffee resources, educational training materials, and insights from our team of experts, sign up for our email list below.
Located in the center of
The best coffee city in America
In a 2,000 square foot espresso lab.
With 9 different espresso machines.
1-on-1 attention by professional baristas.
Want to pay a Deposit Only?
$500 down today reserves your space. Pay the rest later.
$500 non-refundable. Remaining balance due before workshop begins.
Prefer to pay over the phone? Call 503-232-2222