Turnover in employees in the service industry can be quite high, but the right questions can help you find a good, lasting fit for your team. Whether you’re hiring for a leadership position or entry level, these interview questions will help make the hiring process go smoothly, quickly, and efficiently:
Phone Screening Questions
- Are the hours mentioned acceptable?
- Do you have any conflicts with the days and hours of the shifts?
- Do you have a reliable way to get to and from work?
- Are you available to start on this date?
Sample Interview Questions
- Tell me about a difficult situation at work, how you got through it, and what you learned.
- What are your three strongest qualities, and three areas you could make improvement in?
- Tell me a little about yourself.
- How did you hear about this position?
- What do you know about our company?
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- Why are you leaving your current job?
- What are you looking for in a new job?
- How would your supervisor and co-workers describe you?
- Why was there a gap in your employment?
- How do you deal with stressful situations?
- What do you like to do outside of work?
- Give me an example of a time at work when you went above and beyond the call of duty.
- What kind of goals would you have in mind if you got this job?
- Tell me about your proudest achievement.
- If you were interviewing someone for this position, what traits would you look for?
- What’s the last book you read?
- Who are your heroes?
- If you could choose one superhero power, what would it be? Why?
- If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would you be? Why?
Sample Reference Questions
- Would you rehire this employee?
- Can you confirm the dates, position, and responsibilities of the individual?
- Can you describe the individual’s performance?
- What are the individual’s strengths and weaknesses?
- Why did the candidate leave?
- Is there anything else I should know about the individual?
- What was your relationship to the individual?